Children and young people are cherished at St. James. Their keen observation, excited interaction, and earnest questioning are gifts to us all. Sunday School is a community for them to learn to live God-shaped lives in their own way. Sunday School follows the 9 a.m. family service, where children of all ages actively participate.
The cathedral’s lower level is home to its children and youth ministries. Classes meet from September to June. The five levels of Sunday School are loosely based on grades, however, a child's engagement with appropriate materials is our priority at St. James. Parents and caregivers are encouraged to participate:
- Songs & Stories: A class for parents and their newborns through three-year-olds that strengthens family relationships and teaches caregivers stories and songs to share with their children.
- Godly Play: Ages three to six come together to learn and explore scripture using a Montessori-based hands-on curriculum.
- Whirl: First and second graders have a tailor-made curriculum that enlightens and explores the Bible readings the children heard in church.
- Seekers: Third and fourth graders hear and reflect on Bible stories, make related art projects, and begin their Christian service to the community. Once a month, the class packs lunches for the hungry.
- S.A.L.T. Group (Sharing And Learning Together): Children in fifth grade and older participate use the prayer of the day to spark a discussion about the challenges of their daily lives. Once a month, the class packs lunches for the hungry.
Childcare is offered every Sunday during the 11 a.m. service as well as various special cathedral services. Two background-checked, professional caregivers are on hand to work and play with the children in a secure and welcoming environment. We also offer a changing station for the parents of our youngest members.