What is your gift?
It is said a gift is not a gift until it is given. At St. James, we are given exceptional gifts every day and in so many ways. We are gifted with God’s grace and the commitment of so many to the numerous ministries we undertake at St. James. Through your participation in these vital missions—worship, faith formation, peace and social justice, community outreach, music and arts, and many others—our work takes on greater meaning. Think of stewardship as a gift to God of your time, talent, and treasure in deepest gratitude for all God has given you. "And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the Lord's: it is holy unto the Lord."
What is a pledge?
A pledge is an estimate of giving. Your pledge amount may be changed during the year if your financial circumstances change. Pledging allows you to make intentional decisions about your financial giving. When you plan ahead for your giving, you make conscious choices about spending your money in ways that reflect your faith and values. Receiving your pledge allows the Cathedral Chapter, the church’s governing board, to plan wisely for the use our resources in support of the mission and ministry to which God has called us. The budget is based on the total amount pledged to St. James. While plate offerings are important to the cathedral, your pledge lets the congregation plan more accurately for the ministry we can accomplish.
How much should I give?
Both the Hebrew and Christian scriptures contain a clear understanding that the appropriate response to God’s generosity from God’s people is a tithe (10% of income), and in some churches today, that would be the minimum expectation of every member. Other churches suggest that church members should offer 5% of their income to their faith community (to allow the opportunity of supporting other charities which further God’s reign). If the members of St. James all pledged at 5% of their income, our commitment to outreach, formation, pastoral care, worship and all other aspects of parish life would grow in remarkable and exciting ways. We ask you to pray and reflect on what God is calling you to pledge this coming year.
Thank You! Your generosity is essential to the work of St. James Cathedral as we continue growing together. We invite you, out of your love for God and your Cathedral family, to make a generous pledge.
Shop on AmazonSmile and Amazon donates to St. James!
Get started with these easy steps!
- Visit smile.amazon.com. It’s just like shopping on Amazon!
- Sign in. Just use your current Amazon credentials. If you don’t have an Amazon account, you can create a new one.
- Start shopping! After you’ve chosen the charity you wish to support, your shopping experience will be the same...and there’s no extra cost for you! Amazon donates 0.5 percent of your purchase to St. James.
- Please remember to shop our smile.amazon.com link every time. Purchases on the main Amazon.com site do not support St. James. It may help to bookmark our smile.amazon.com link.
- Spread the word on social media! After you checked out, Amazon makes it easy to share your contribution with Facebook and Twitter options. Let your friends and family know you've supported St. James by including the #StartWithASmile hashtag.
Thank you so much for supporting the ministries of St. James by shopping on AmazonSmile.